Permit to Carry Application Info:
- You must apply in person, in the county of your residence. Mailed applications are NOT accepted.
- You must present a current Minnesota driver’s license, state issued ID or Passport (or a legible photo copy).
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- You must present a current certificate of completion of a Minnesota Permit to Carry Class taught by a BCA certified instructor (these certificates are valid for one year from the date it was issued).
- Applications must be filled out completely, incomplete or inaccurate applications may result in getting denied. Do not sign your application until you are at the Sheriff’s office.
- Application approval may take up to 30 days and is dependent on a detailed background check. If your application is approved your card will be mailed directly to your home address. If you are denied, you will receive a letter stating why.
- A Minnesota Permit to Carry is valid for 5 years.
Minnesota Permit to Carry Applications are available to download online and at your local county Sheriff’s office.
Sheriff’s Office Locations:
- Anoka County Sheriff’s Office
- Carver County Sheriff’s Office
- Dakota County Sheriff’s Office
- Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office (Downtown)
- Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office (Brooklyn Park)
- Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office
- Scott County Sheriff’s Office
- Washington County Sheriff’s Office